North Carolina State Standards -
The Middle Grades chapter of North Carolina's Science
Standard Course of Study describes Strands like Science
As-Inquiry and Technological Design that are common
throughout grades 6-8. In the Course of Study, the analogy
original found in the National Science Education Standards
holds: Inquiry is to Science as Design is to Technology.
Science and Technology - Technological Design
This strand involves having students study technologies
and do technological design (p. 52-53). The first book
addresses this first task; the remaining ones address
• Develop an understanding of what technologies
• Identify and state a problem, need, or product
• Design a solution including cost and risk/benefit
• Implement and evaluate the solution
• Accurately record and communicate observations.
Science as Inquiry
The Learning By Design curriculum shows how closely
connected scientific inquiry can be to design. Compare
the LBD Cycle
and the Generic Design Cycle
to the following description of process skills related
to Scientific Inquiry (p. 80-81):
• Structure questions that can be answered through
• Clarify ideas that guide and influence inquiry
Formulate questions leading to further investigations.
• Design and conduct scientific investigations
to test ideas.
• Control and manipulate variables.
• Review experimental procedures.
• Apply safe and appropriate abilities to manipulate
materials, equipment and technologies
• Use mathematics to gather, organize and
• Make inferences from data.
• Think critically and logically to bridge the
relationships between evidence and explanations